DrupalCon 2011: Chicago: Day 3

********************************************************
Session 1: Advanced Features Usage
Session URL: http://chicago2011.drupal.org/sessions/advanced-features-usage
This was way over my head…but i did take a few notes on the caveats to be aware of. IE: thing that should not be done with Features. Other than that, I didn’t get a lot out of this session, mainly because I knew I was not of the level of user that it was intended for.

Session 2: Faster Front End Performance
Session URL: http://chicago2011.drupal.org/sessions/faster-front-end-performance

Learned about smushit, which was nice, but pretty much everything else was revision for me. It was a presentation mainly on best practices for faster front end code on any website, and little to do with Drupal. All good information, but nothing groundbreaking for my personally.

I take that back. What i did not know, is that browsers read css backwards…right to left. So..

ie: #nav #primary li a { color #000; }

it will look for all links first, then those links inside an li, then those li links inside the #primary, then all #primary li links inside a #nav….and THEN, set the color to black. So……yeah……very inefficient

Session 3: Drupal Carolinas BOF

No real notes here…just talking about how to better serve the Drupal community in the Carolinas. The ideas were to form an LLC / Non-Profit so that all Drupal Camps would be able to take advantage of that central resource (funding, bank accounts, planning etc).

Not sure if that’s really needed, or would be worth all the trouble, but I guess I’m not the one organizing these Drupal camps…so I’m not one to talk about it. I just think that the really super excited people (about Drupal) need to make sure that there is actually a population that “want” a Drupal camp that would warrant the work, instead of just following the Field of Dreams process of “build it and they will come.”

I spent the rest of the day talking to the guys from UNC-Charlotte and Appalachian State University about their environments, and how I might be able to take advantage of their existing knowledge. I don’t want to reinvent the Drupal wheel, especially when it seems like these guys know much more about Drupal wheel’s than I do.

My raw notes: