On December 18, 2014, WordPress released version 4.1. We will be updating OIT WordPress clients to the new version in the coming days. In the meantime, here are some of the new features available to users:
- Improved Distraction-Free Writing Mode – When enabled, everything except your WordPress post editor gently fades away while you write.
- Improved Media Embeds – Media from websites such as YouTube, Vimeo, Vine, and SoundCloud can be embedded in your content in a smooth and easy way.
- New API Support and Template Tags – WordPress has added new options for developers building a new theme.
In addition, we are in the process of evaluating new WordPress themes for use in our WordPress Blog Service. We have added three new themes to the service so far:
- Twenty Fifteen – The latest default WordPress theme, easy to set up and easy to use.
- Independent Publisher – A simple and clean blogging theme.
- Virtue – A flexible and very customizable theme suitable anything from a simple blog to a fully-featured organization website.
These three themes are now available for WordPress Blogs users. You can see the full list of available themes at wordpress.ncsu.edu.